Thread: Senior Citizen Act

Senior Citizen Act

Hi!
    My mother,as my dependent was hospitalized due to cardiac problems.Being an employee of the hospitalís sister company,thereís a provision in our Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) that the hospitalís sister company shall grant 25% discount to legal dependent,in my case ,my mother,for the hospitalization expenses and medicines. Computation have been made honoring the PHILHEALTH coverage and my 25% discount.The senior citizen benefit of my mom was not applied because hospital claimed that they should honor only one discount higher that the 20% my mom's senior citizen discount.Was the hospital right?Please shed light to this query.
    Thanks.

Administrator Atty. James S. Biron's Avatar
    Hi! Sorry to hear about your mom's condition. Unfortunately, the hospital was right with regard to its claim. Under the Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) of the Expanded Senior Citizens Act, it is provided therein that there shall be no double discount. In this case, since the CBA already provides for a 25% discount, you will be barred from enjoying another 20% discount.

Gud Day!Hi!
    My mother, as my dependent was hospitalized due to stroke. She/we stayed in the hospital for 3 weeks, 15 days at the ICU and 7 days at the regular room. The hospital bill is about P630,000.00 which includes the professional fees of 4 doctors; 1 doctor as cardiologist (main doctor), 1 for pulmonary, 2 as neurologist. I just want to verify how the 20% discount as senior citizen will applied? The billing section said that not all services are being covered by the 20% discount. Looking at the bill, the discount for my mother, being a senior citizen is just about P70,000. In addition to this, i would to ask if it is mandatory for a professionals/doctors to apply the 20% discount on their professional fees? Again, looking at our bill with regards to professional fees of the four doctors, only one doctor applied this 20% discount at the VAT. Please enlighten us with this query. Thank you very much and more power.

Administrator Atty. James S. Biron's Avatar
    Good day JP, please ask the billing department what items were excluded from the 20% discount.